"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller

 

"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

1 Peter 3:4

 

 

Say Jay's Speculations

 

 

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

In order to allay any fears my previous post may have sparked, I did indeed reach school safely, with no accidents, and only killing it once at a light off the offramp of the freeway. I have driven a bit here at school, but freeway driving is much much easier.

I don't know that I've ever mentioned that I am a cribbage fanatic... I could play cribbage for hours straight. In fact, I really just did- my friend jordan and I went grocery shopping and then played four games of cribbage. He is admittedly a better player than I, I think, or else he was just lucky. He creamed me once, beat me by a very little 2 times, and I creamed him at the end. So it almost evens out.

I am turning into a procrastinator and that is driving me crazy. I have this big assignment due tomorrow...(it actually turned out smaller than I thought it would be though)... and I almost didn't start it til tonight. Then I realized I wanted to go shopping and hang out, so I worked on it this afternoon and finished it. I should be in bed, considering I worked all night last night on a take-home test that was due today, and bed is where I will soon head. I just feel like there's something profound brimming just below the surface, and I just can't grab it by the neck and pull it out. Sometimes when I keep typing it eventually comes out.

I stretched out on my bed earlier today to take a nap. I couldn't even close my eyes because all I could see were lists of things to do. A 6th grade boy played offertory on the piano at church on Sunday and he made a few very minor mistakes. They didn't bother me a bit, but I remembered back to when I played for church a lot. Every imperfection caused me to think that the whole was hopelessly flawed. It made me think about when I would lie awake in high school running through lists of things I needed to work on as soon as I got up on the morning. It made me remember when I would look in the mirror and see only imperfections. It made me remember how I used to clean my room at 2 am because I felt like I was letting things slide if I didn't.

I know I have written about this before, but it's a theme that I keep returning to in my mind as I think about who I am and who I am becoming. I know that perfection isn't demanded of me by anyone. I don't even really demand total perfection of myself, in part because I know it is impossible. I just see it all as hopelessly flawed. When I feel like I have no control over my life, I reach out and grasp the few straws I think are available to me. Because I am utterly convinced that I can do better, I am never fully satisfied with just enough. If I get a 93% on a test, I think about what I could have done differently to get a 98% or a 100%. If I just changed this about myself... if... if... if.

Being an optimist can be as much of a struggle as being a pessimist, don't you think? The change that needs to happen in my thinking is realizing that I can do no changing - it is God alone, in His time and in His pleasure. As soon as I say it and truly believe it, I stop exerting so much pressure on myself. And there is the secret.

I knew something was brewing.





Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 See Who I Visit

Morgan

My home on the net

Steve

Lil bro Drew

Julie

Aaron

David

Keith

Rus

My bestest friend Jess

John Piper

Theophilus

Adam Ochuk

Real Live Preacher

Correction

Rhonda's Ramblings

DaveJac

Steven

Chrissy

 

 

Somethin' Cute

current
10/01/2002 - 11/01/2002
11/01/2002 - 12/01/2002
12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003
02/01/2003 - 03/01/2003
03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004

 

 

 

.::This page was designed by Morgan::.

.::Photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Wonder Photography 2003::.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?