"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable
beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."
1
Peter 3:4
"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller
I figured I'd post two this morning because my mood right now is a bit ADD. Reflective for half a second and giggling the next. So here you see me in all my glory. (or something.)
The thing about this post is that it's requiring a lot of vulnerability to write it. I hope you'll understand the price that I have to pay for this - my pride and my illusion as a graceful woman of God. I shall be revealing to you my true awkward klutziness.
The story begins a couple months ago (don't worry, these shouldn't be long stories) in early evening on a drizzly, grey Bellingham day. I was meeting my Bible study leader to talk and pray, and we finished a little on the late side. I glanced at the clock on the wall in the student union building, and saw that I was going to miss the bus, so whisked everything into my backpack and darted out the door. I arrived at the bus stop out of breath and intent on getting through the doors before it closed. However, the driver had other plans and closed the doors and began to pull away when she saw me marathon-ing it through the groups of people gathered on the walkway. She pulled over and opened the doors. As I started to step into the bus, I heard my name shouted behind me by a few voices, and, looking over my shoulder while still walking onto the bus, I saw that it was my friends Michelle and Steve waving. I waved back and decided that since I was stepping up into the bus, I'd better watch where I was going. As my neck swiveled back to face forward, I saw the doors closing UPON me - literally - and the glaring face of the bus driver who assumed (wrongly) that was going to stand in the bus doorway and talk to my friends. I shrieked a little and pulled my backpack the rest of the way through the little crack left between the doors. I felt like Indiana Jones. Face flaming, I swiped my bus pass and grabbed a seat and started laughing at how ridiculous the entire situation was.
I thought that might be the last of my life-threatening bus situations. Oh how wrong I was.
Fast-forward a couple months. To yesterday.
I'm riding happily in the back of the bus, feet swinging (because my legs aren't long enough to reach the floor), chatting on the phone with my dad. Realizing we were at my stop, I stood up and waded through the crowds of standing bus passengers when I saw the back doors beginning to close. "Wait!" a voice buried in the tall crowds squeaked. Making it to the steps and rushing to get out the closing doors, I stumbled down the steps into the doors just as they were reopening. Quite gracelessly I crashed out onto the sidewalk, nearly pulling the entire bus on its side with me.
I straightened, regained my composure, looked around and almost collapsed in a fit of laughter when I realized that I wasn't even at the right stop.
I think there is a high, irreversible possibility that there is something developmentally wrong with me.