"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller

 

"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

1 Peter 3:4

 

 

Say Jay's Speculations

 

 

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

Saturday, April 03, 2004

Socialism

I have a feeling this may brand me forever as some
sort of heretic to many here, but I'll say it anyways.


I don't think capitalism is all it's cracked up to be,
folks. Capitalism has spawned a huge number of
problems in society, though they are often more veiled
than the ones produced by socialism. We are so focused
on individualism, much to our detriment. There is
such a heavy focus on consumerism that American
companies relocate their production facilities (aka
sweatshops) to other parts of the world (parts that
aren't even necessarily owned by any country, such as
the "mequiladoras" between Mexico and the U.S.) in
order to exploit people to feed the ravenous appetites
of consumer industrialized cultures.

I have a hard time taking a firm stance for any
economic system because they are all fallen and
incomplete, and because I think that the Bible
-really- only addresses economics within the church
itself (other than saying that we should pay taxes).
And interestingly enough, within the early church
itself, the model in Acts is highly socialistic.

I'm not advocating a push for the U.S. to shift to
socialism - socialism could only ever work in a
perfect Christian society, which doesn't yet exist
(one day!! one day...). However, I don't think that
capitalism is the answer. I don't really think there
is an answer when it comes to this.

Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 See Who I Visit

Morgan

My home on the net

Steve

Lil bro Drew

Julie

Aaron

David

Keith

Rus

My bestest friend Jess

John Piper

Theophilus

Adam Ochuk

Real Live Preacher

Correction

Rhonda's Ramblings

DaveJac

Steven

Chrissy

 

 

Somethin' Cute

current
10/01/2002 - 11/01/2002
11/01/2002 - 12/01/2002
12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003
02/01/2003 - 03/01/2003
03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004

 

 

 

.::This page was designed by Morgan::.

.::Photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Wonder Photography 2003::.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?