"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller

 

"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

1 Peter 3:4

 

 

Say Jay's Speculations

 

 

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

Monday, March 15, 2004

Ode to Perfectionism

"Push on," they said,
So I did.
"Press on," they say
So I do.
But in all this pushing
I lost it
In all this pressing
My hand slid
And I fell.

This drive I allow
I permit to increase
This drive has me
In its talons
Relax your grip
O Perfectionism.
I can't breathe.

"Reach for the stars" they said
So I stood on tiptoe.
"The moon's in your pocket" they say
So I pat my thigh.
But with all this stretching
My back throbs
And with the weight of the moon
My pants are falling down.

This drive I allow
I permit to increase
And soon they'll all see
Just who I am
And I'll be alone
Relax your grip
O Perfectionism.
I can't breathe.




Ache

This ache is gentle, slow.
It wells up in my throat, to my eyes, my lashes.
They leak out singly like dew drops, running down a rose-petal cheek.
The storm clouds gather over my sunshine eyes, and one blink eclipses the remaining light, releasing a flood of quiet rain.
In this barren land, the shower is healing while hurting, external signs of internal workings.


I wrote all these three on the train on the way up to school tonight while the sunset dripped from the twilit sky. This one is probably my favorite, though it's not a poem, just a few thoughts...

When did grownups get too big to wave at passing trains?
And when are they old enough to begin waving again?
May I never be too old or young to lose self-consciousness and be a fool

Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 See Who I Visit

Morgan

My home on the net

Steve

Lil bro Drew

Julie

Aaron

David

Keith

Rus

My bestest friend Jess

John Piper

Theophilus

Adam Ochuk

Real Live Preacher

Correction

Rhonda's Ramblings

DaveJac

Steven

Chrissy

 

 

Somethin' Cute

current
10/01/2002 - 11/01/2002
11/01/2002 - 12/01/2002
12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003
02/01/2003 - 03/01/2003
03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004

 

 

 

.::This page was designed by Morgan::.

.::Photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Wonder Photography 2003::.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?