"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable
beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."
1
Peter 3:4
"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller
I wandered the web tonight looking at web site formats for a project I'm involved in. I stuck mainly to blogs because I love encountering thoughts of everyday folks that are just drumming them out for a (usually) small audience. Starting with Theophilus' blog, I wound my way through an intricate and untraceable pathway of blessings. How lovely to see the many ways God is working in the lives of His followers. I was particularly encouraged by the large number of blogs I ran across written by Reformed Christians. I often feel as though we are largely outnumbered in this day and age (and we are), so much so that I sometimes feel alone. There is something satisfying about finding a person who has something in common with you that is defining of both your selves, which says a lot about small-group dynamics.
Sometimes I worry that I will one day lose my zeal for the study of the things of God. What if I get busy and stop caring about the things I hold dear now, namely the promises of God's sovereignty and faithfulness? What if they "stop mattering?" What if I become like all the rest of the women, the ones who care about the Word only insofar as it directly applies to their daily routine? What if I forget the passion for the kingdom of God that once ignited my heart and still burns steadily?
Is it possible? I suppose. Is it probable? I daren't nod in affirmation. Instead I must continue on in the sharpening of heart and mind through God's Word and the words of fellow Christians - both past and present and pray desperately that I might die for Him.
If believers decay in their first love, or in some other grace, yet another grace may grow and increase, such as humility, their brokenheartedness; they sometimes seem not to grow in the branches when they may grow at the root; upon a check grace breaks out more; as we say, after a hard winter there usually follows a glorious spring.
—Richard Sibbes
No doubt [women of faith in the past] were reproached for His name's sake, and accounted mad women; but they had a faith which enabled them at that time to overcome the world, and by which they climbed up to heaven.