"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller

 

"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

1 Peter 3:4

 

 

Say Jay's Speculations

 

 

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

In a comment to the previous post, Theophilus asked if I ever struggle with people not taking me seriously because of my age. Not all that often, I think. I hate to say this because it sounds a little arrogant, but I am actually kind of known for my wisdom and insight within communities I am a part of. The only reason I feel comfortable saying it at all is because I know that neither of those things are from myself, but are completely a gift from the Lord to speak into the lives of other people.

I have run across a few situations where my thoughts were discounted because of my lack of experience - but that may very well be right and good to an extent. I'm still in an age group where idealism is rampant, regardless of how we try to eliminate it. Idealistic goals and desires are good, as long as they are co-dosed with a healthy amount of realism and honesty. So in that sense, it is often better to listen to someone who has more experience with how the tenets of Scripture have played out in life than to someone who is speaking out of theory.

The reason, Theophilus, that I laughed at your question is this: When I was in junior high and high school, I was always assumed to be older than I actually was. At age 13, I had been mistaken for 20 a few times, and it continued on. Now that I am 20, it seems I no longer look my age. Yesterday at a gas station I was having a conversation with the girl behind the register, and I was saying something about college debt, and she looked at me in utter disbelief. "You're in college?!? You don't look old enough to be in college."
"Uh, well, I actually graduate next year."
"No.... are you sure?"
"Why, yes, I actually am."
"Well, you just don't look your age at all."

Another scenario: I receive an IM today from Geof regarding this picture taken at Denny's last week with the group previously wrtten about. I'm on the right side looking at the camera. (the others are David and Morgan and Julie is behind me). The conversation went something like this:

Geof: You look young.
Me: I am young!
Geof: You look younger than 20.

When you get that twice in the course of 24 hours... is there something to wonder about? Should I change my hair? Wear more makeup? There's only so much someone can do to look their age.

But the truth of the matter is: I don't care. I'm generally happy with how I look these days, and if I look young by maintaining my glowing skin (hehe, jk), I'm sure I'll appreciate it someday.

By the way, I think that picture is one of the most accurate ones I have ever seen of myself. That is exactly how I see myself in the mirror and throughout the day when I think about how I look.

Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 See Who I Visit

Morgan

My home on the net

Steve

Lil bro Drew

Julie

Aaron

David

Keith

Rus

My bestest friend Jess

John Piper

Theophilus

Adam Ochuk

Real Live Preacher

Correction

Rhonda's Ramblings

DaveJac

Steven

Chrissy

 

 

Somethin' Cute

current
10/01/2002 - 11/01/2002
11/01/2002 - 12/01/2002
12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003
02/01/2003 - 03/01/2003
03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004

 

 

 

.::This page was designed by Morgan::.

.::Photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Wonder Photography 2003::.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?