"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable
beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."
1
Peter 3:4
"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller
Isn't God just good? Sometimes it hits me just how faithful He is, and how good He is, and how I should never stop praising Him with my life.
I don't know where I'd be without His mercy and grace, especially in the last 3 months. He has brought my heart so far, He has exposed darkness and brought it into the light in order that it may be annihilated. Satan no longer has power over me, and the fact that I know that within an inch of my life is a tremendous blessing.
I don't know that I've ever talked about this (perhaps I have), but I have prayed for a few years now that the church in America would be faced with persecution. I hesitate saying this to people for a few different reasons.
I would die for Jesus.
One of them is that if the storm actually comes, I don't know that I want to be blamed for it. This seems like a silly reason, but think using your fleshly lens. Out and out persecution comes, the faith of Christians is refined, and many are martyred for the Lord Jesus on our very soil. And I have been praying for this for years? I don't think I'll be a very popular person, will I? Then again, Jeremiah wasn't very popular either, but he was faithful to speak what the Lord had for him to say.
I would die for Jesus.
The other reason is that people think it's crazy. There's a trend in our communities of faith to pray for the churches in persecuted countries for "religious freedom" - but how far has that taken our society and our Christian communities? We have ended up in a place of complacency. Our pews are filled with men and women who have no clue that benchwarming doesn't score any points.
I would die for Jesus.
The point of my previous post, the brief word photograph of India, was to demonstrate the passion and outward joy of brothers and sisters in other nations. In a city, region, or country where to be a Christian means forfeiting rights to your life, you don't have a lot of benchwarmers. You have (for the most part) a gathering of people who would rather die or face imprisonment than disobey the One who has brought them salvation. You have, quite literally, dancing and worship in the streets in some areas where persecution is a little less intense, and you have people who treasure God's word and faithfully proclaim it and follow it.
But am I willing to die for Him, my precious and dear Savior? I truly believe that I am, and part of me longs for that blessing of forfeiting all of me - down to my very life. But how can I be sure that if called to lay down my life for Jesus, that I actually would? Some say you don't know if you'd be faithful until you're in the situation itself. I disagree strongly.
I would die for Him.
I think there is an element in which you wouldn't know if your love for the Lord was that passionate and strong until faced with the situation. But I think there is one way you can be sure. The only way to be sure is if you are dying for Him repeatedly every day. Die to yourself, and your calling will be made certain before your very eyes. By your fruit, dear brothers and sisters. By your fruit you shall be known.