"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller

 

"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

1 Peter 3:4

 

 

Say Jay's Speculations

 

 

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

Sunday, March 21, 2004

I found this thread about whether to attend a homosexual "wedding" (I put it in quotes because I know that some call it by different names, but we all know what we are talking about) and I was saddened by the attitude demonstrated among the believers. Saddened probably isn't the right word - angered and frustrated at the judgemental "piety" I saw in many of the comments. Some not even seeking to understand why other believers might be compelled to see this sin as yet another among the many sins of the lost...
Some might claim that I am not seeing things with clarity, but I would interject that perhaps they are the ones lacking clarity of vision. Christ came to suffer and save the lost: He did not come to condemn the world, but to save it. Should we make our ministry "more holy" than His was?

Here is a copy of my thoughts on the issue:


I'm a very conservative reformed Christian. I firmly believe that homosexuality is a sin, one that shouldn't be allowed to be practiced in the church.

But the tone of discussion here leaves me sick to my stomach. If I were a nonbelieving gay person reading this right now, or if I had been raised by a homosexual mother, it may be enough to keep me from ever wanting to set foot in a church again. The stench of death is pervasive here... but not in the sense Paul writing to the Corinthians uses it.

I don't KNOW what Jesus would do in this situation. But I know that He came to heal the sick. They're the ones that need the doctor - not those of us who are observing the disease from a bit of a distance. I don't think He'd condone a gay relationship within the church. But then, I don't think He'd condone an active unrepentant homosexual in the church.

But we're not talking about the church. We're talking about people who are lost and dying and need Jesus. How will they know Who they need if there is no one to bring Him to them? I think you can go to a gay "wedding" while being clear that you believe that homosexuality is wrong. I think there are tactful ways to go about it, and if the couple really loves and values you they will understand the difficulty you are facing. And if they don't, so be it.
I hate homosexuality, to be honest. I do believe it's a twisting of something that was created to be good. But so is pornography. So is greed. So is gluttony. What is this hierarchy of sins I'm seeing pop up on this thread? Lost men and women are LOST men and women. Trying to solve the issue of homosexuality without the saving of souls is like putting a Johnson's band-aid on an exposed skull where the skin has been cut away by a butcher knife. (graphic? yes... but I wanted some sort of serious imagery to come to mind to demonstrate my point)

Love them anyways. Have I ever been faced with this situation described at the beginning of the thread? No. But I know people who have. And I anticipate that it could happen to me in the future, and to be completely honest, I don't know yet what I'd do. I would have to pray very hard and seek counsel from people I know will also seek God. But I know right now I wouldn't automatically write it off without seeking to see if this was an opportunity to demonstrate God's unconditional love to someone who obviously needs it.

Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 See Who I Visit

Morgan

My home on the net

Steve

Lil bro Drew

Julie

Aaron

David

Keith

Rus

My bestest friend Jess

John Piper

Theophilus

Adam Ochuk

Real Live Preacher

Correction

Rhonda's Ramblings

DaveJac

Steven

Chrissy

 

 

Somethin' Cute

current
10/01/2002 - 11/01/2002
11/01/2002 - 12/01/2002
12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003
02/01/2003 - 03/01/2003
03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004

 

 

 

.::This page was designed by Morgan::.

.::Photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Wonder Photography 2003::.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?