"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller

 

"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

1 Peter 3:4

 

 

Say Jay's Speculations

 

 

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

Saturday, March 20, 2004

Edward Scissorhands

Rarely do I devote a whole section of thoughts on something like a movie or book I am experiencing, but this one is worth ticking out some comments on.

For at least the last four months, people have been recommending left and right that I see this movie. Before this year I had always assumed that it was a horror flick - something about the pictures I saw as a child when it came out with Depp's crazy black hair, pale face, and scissory-hands may have something to do with that assumption. Needless to say, when I found out that it's a love story and tragic drama, I was somewhat befuddled. How could a movie about such an "awful" creature be tragically beautiful?

In watching it tonight, though, I was constantly forced to realize how quick I was to "judge the book by its cover." Depp's character, Edward, isn't at all a cruel monster - he's a human with a heart, a person who has had far more than his share of difficulties in life. In being designed by "The Inventor," he was trained to be courteous and good. Upon the death of his creator, Edward was left missing only two things: hands. He was left to compensate with a set of razor sharp scissors and knives where each hand should be... what cruel twist of fate would let this be so?

Rather than summarize the rest of the move, I recommend that you see it so the following ideas will make more sense. For those of you that have seen it, I was faced with the realization that I, just like the folks in Suburbia, all too often make assumptions about people by how they look, how they act, and "what's in it for me" in the friendship. And do I ever play the part of the woman who ostracized Edward from the start? - the woman who spent so much time glorying in playing her church music on her organ that she didn't learn to really love? - the woman who labeled him as cursed because he wasn't just like everyone else? Lord, I hope not. I think not... but I hope not.

I may take pride in keeping myself from the last page of a book until I've read everything that comes before... but sometimes I don't even read more than the first page of something that could be overwhelmingly filled with truth and beauty. What a fool I am to judge.

Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 See Who I Visit

Morgan

My home on the net

Steve

Lil bro Drew

Julie

Aaron

David

Keith

Rus

My bestest friend Jess

John Piper

Theophilus

Adam Ochuk

Real Live Preacher

Correction

Rhonda's Ramblings

DaveJac

Steven

Chrissy

 

 

Somethin' Cute

current
10/01/2002 - 11/01/2002
11/01/2002 - 12/01/2002
12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003
02/01/2003 - 03/01/2003
03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004

 

 

 

.::This page was designed by Morgan::.

.::Photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Wonder Photography 2003::.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?