"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller

 

"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

1 Peter 3:4

 

 

Say Jay's Speculations

 

 

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

Sunday, February 15, 2004

Pain and Birth

What a beautiful day today has been already! It's only noon, and it's pouring rain outside, but cozy inside my apartment, I have enjoyed a very relaxing Sunday morning. I regret not being able to go to church, but I have to stay on campus for RA duty, and so on weeks like these, I make the best and have my own little church service. It is a good chance to work through some of the Piper sermons I have downloaded, play some guitar and listen to my cd of hymns. And pray and write.

I have started reading The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis. I have read some of it in the past, but it is one of those books that require deep thought of the logical analysis sort, so I can't just bring it along to read on the bus. I am having to go back and re-read everything I already read, but it is easier this time than it was last year. Hopefully I'll be able to plug along through it. My friend Jordan read it, and he said it's worth the work, and knowing Lewis, it will be so.

The other day while sitting in a classroom listening to my college pastor teach about something pretty unrelated to the Calvinism/Arminianism debate (although, really, how far could it be? Everything is tied pretty closely to that, it seems, haha), it occurred to me that the analogy of converting being a rebirth is a pretty cool way to explain total depravity.

Bear with me.

Just as the fetus in the mother's womb is helpless, so we are helpless before God. Christ told Nicodemus that to enter the kingdom of God, one must be "reborn." But what is birth? Does the baby have a CHOICE of coming out of the comfort of the dark and fluid womb? I'd imagine that birth must be a fairly painful and traumatic experience for the newborn - to be "forced" out of something they thought "best" is a shock to the system. But the infant is MADE for life! It has lungs designed to breathe air and lips and a tongue for talking and eating. It has legs to run and play, it has a capacity to be a living creature.

In the same way, man was designed for life with God. Does it seem cruel and too-authoritarian of the mother's body to force the fetus to come into the light and know life? Not at all, because that was the purpose from the start. Nor is it cruel or overly authoritarian for a God of all power to "force" (for lack of a better word) His children into the life through a new birth. It is not because of a desire we have to know that life (Rom. 9:16), but because of his mercy.

I don't know... still thinking about it... help me refine it, if you will. Point out flaws and then help me see what is true and what is imperfect about the analogy. I know there exist imperfections, but if you hadn't picked up on it, I *love* analogies and allegories, and discussing them is oh-so-fun and enriching.

Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 See Who I Visit

Morgan

My home on the net

Steve

Lil bro Drew

Julie

Aaron

David

Keith

Rus

My bestest friend Jess

John Piper

Theophilus

Adam Ochuk

Real Live Preacher

Correction

Rhonda's Ramblings

DaveJac

Steven

Chrissy

 

 

Somethin' Cute

current
10/01/2002 - 11/01/2002
11/01/2002 - 12/01/2002
12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003
02/01/2003 - 03/01/2003
03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004

 

 

 

.::This page was designed by Morgan::.

.::Photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Wonder Photography 2003::.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?