"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller

 

"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

1 Peter 3:4

 

 

Say Jay's Speculations

 

 

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

Thursday, January 22, 2004

Me One and Me Two
I feel a little bit like I'm torn into two pieces. There is Sarah who fits into the more charismatic circle of Christianity, the one who struggles with putting heart over head, the same one who sometimes feels the need to speak circumlocutions around the other Sarah who loves traditional (aka "reformed") doctrine and struggles with putting head over heart. Both Sarahs are stubborn.

This topic has been one I've been fighting for a year now. Here's the rift between the two shards of Me:
People who believe reformed doctrine generally don't believe that God uses the more "miraculous" spiritual gifts in these latter days.
People who believe that the Spirit still moves the same way He did during the lives of the disciples (such as "tongues" "prophecy" and "interpretation") generally don't hold to reformed doctrine.

Guess what? I believe both. And therefore I'm caught in the middle, much like the trapezist who is caught midair between rings. In American Christianity, the ring of how I believe the Spirit works doesn't reach quite far enough to the ring that believes God has a sovereign will for our lives and all that that belief entails.

Is there a way to make them reach? Or must I forever hang here suspended in conflict over whether to choose one or the other?

Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 See Who I Visit

Morgan

My home on the net

Steve

Lil bro Drew

Julie

Aaron

David

Keith

Rus

My bestest friend Jess

John Piper

Theophilus

Adam Ochuk

Real Live Preacher

Correction

Rhonda's Ramblings

DaveJac

Steven

Chrissy

 

 

Somethin' Cute

current
10/01/2002 - 11/01/2002
11/01/2002 - 12/01/2002
12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003
02/01/2003 - 03/01/2003
03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004

 

 

 

.::This page was designed by Morgan::.

.::Photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Wonder Photography 2003::.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?