"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable
beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."
1
Peter 3:4
"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller
Have you ever sat before a fireplace and tried to keep a fire going that simply demands to go out? I did that tonight. No matter how hard I stirred or what I added to the flames, it was resolved to smoulder down to glowing coals, which, though lasting a few hours, are finally now crackling quietly to deathly ashes.
Fire holds so many analogies for me. Given what I just wrote out, I could find off the top of my head at least five different (and sometimes seemingly opposing!) lessons to apply to my life.
The one that I saw first and think is the most relevant to my life is the idea that I am not in control. No matter how hard I try to stir people up, sometimes there are people that will set their chins resolutely against the words I am saying, even if I know the Lord wants me to say them. Oh, they may take something from what I say, but the problem I find is that they will zero in on one of the points that I find smaller and least important. Not that that is always wrong, necessarily, and come to think of it, that too is a reminder that I am not in control, and a gentle and prodding reminder to be humble before God. The points that I sometimes think people need to hear are not always what they really need to hear. Sometimes they just need to hear something else, and God will use that to work in their hearts, regardless and in spite of my intentions.
There is snow falling driftily down tonight again. Tomorrow will be our third day of snow, and I adore watching it and playing in it. What a contrast to the sullen grass and wintry barren trees! Each flake nestles in with its brothers on the ground, and reflects the sun with the brilliance of diamonds from its place in the sea of frozen particles. It is a frozen ocean on my front lawn. :)
My ache for heaven has returned. There was a while where my heart forgot what the Day of Days will be like. I will never pretend to know the hour of His return, nor all the gruesome and glorious details, but I claim to know the most vital things: On the day of His second coming, earth shall be made new and sin banished forever to the confines of dark hell, where I shall never have to set foot, praise to His precious and dear grace! On the day of His second coming, I will never be thirsty and I will never despair at my inability to follow through with the resolutions (though holy and God-pleasing they may be) I lay down for myself. All the glow of earthly wealth shall cease, and the one Treasure shall burn brighter than the sun. The song that creation was intended to sing shall be sung with full force by the sanctified sinners and by the angels and all of heaven.
The darkness of unknowing will be lighted and the evil that I see about me shall be shown for what it is. Oh Jesus come! How long must we wait to see Your face, Oh God? What does this new year bring? We will wait and yearn and fast and mourn and cry for the vindication you will bring against the Hater of Your light. And we will glory and joy and triumph knowing that the war has been fought and won, and we have a great and sure hope of victory over all our sufferings, a hope rooted in the cross and miracles of Christ Jesus. Sanctify us, Lord!