"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller

 

"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

1 Peter 3:4

 

 

Say Jay's Speculations

 

 

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Something I often say is that Christians are meant to help carry one another's burdens, and someone once asked me how. I will probably never forget the question, because I didn't know the answer. I have thought and thought and thought about how to explain the way that I delight in coming alongside others that have heavier burdens than I, and I think I have begun to grasp it, thanks to my dear chum Tolkien. If you do not know the ending of the story, do not keep reading... but if you have, continue. :) The best illustration of Christian fellowship that I can imagine is in the friendship Sam has with Frodo. Some people have told me that they think being compared to Samwise Gamgee would be more of an insult than a compliment, but I believe that he is my favorite character of all the hundreds you meet throughout the tale. Do you remember the scene upon the mountain? So near to finishing the task of destroying the ring, and yet so far? Here it is in Tolkien's words:

"[Sam] bent over Frodo, rousing him gently. Frodo groaned; but with a great effort of will he staggered up; and then he fell upon his knees again. He raised his eyes with difficulty to the dark slopes of Mount Doom towering above him, and then pitifully he began to crawl forward on his hands.
Sam looked at him and wept in his heart, but no tears came to his dry and stinging eyes. 'I said I'd carry him, if it broke my back' he muttered, 'and I will!'
'Come, Mr. Frodo!' he cried. 'I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you and it as well. So up you get! Come on, Mr. Frodo dear! Sam will give you a ride. Just tell him where to go, and he'll go.'
As Frodo clung upon his back, Sam staggered to his feet; and then to his amazement he felt the burden light. He had feared that he would have barely strength to lift his master alone, and beyond that he had expected to share in the dreadful dragging weight of the accursed Ring. But it was not so."

As I watched this play out before my eyes, knowing the words well enough to say them before Sam even did, I found my heart praying "Oh Lord, let me be Sam to all the Frodos that I meet."

Now you perhaps will laugh, because that reveals the true depths of my geek-hood, but I can't help but find this a wonderful way to answer the question asked of me a long time ago. And if I can find that much hope in a story, imagine how much sweeter reality is when we consider that it is not I that am truly carrying my burdened brethren before the Lord, but Christ through me.

Thus ends part one of my ROTK thoughts. I actually have two or three to eventually write out. But for now, this was the most important one.

Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 See Who I Visit

Morgan

My home on the net

Steve

Lil bro Drew

Julie

Aaron

David

Keith

Rus

My bestest friend Jess

John Piper

Theophilus

Adam Ochuk

Real Live Preacher

Correction

Rhonda's Ramblings

DaveJac

Steven

Chrissy

 

 

Somethin' Cute

current
10/01/2002 - 11/01/2002
11/01/2002 - 12/01/2002
12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003
02/01/2003 - 03/01/2003
03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004

 

 

 

.::This page was designed by Morgan::.

.::Photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Wonder Photography 2003::.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?