"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller

 

"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

1 Peter 3:4

 

 

Say Jay's Speculations

 

 

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .

 

Sunday, July 13, 2003

I have recently been meditating on and memorizing John 15, and heard a sermon preached on it last week. It was a great sermon, full of the oh-so-reformed perspective that I love dearly.

Other than loving pretty much the entire sermon, I was slightly disturbed by one comment the pastor made about the vine and it's significance. He pretty much straight out said that Israel used to be the vine and then Christ became the vine when He came and the church is not and never will be the vine. That made me think hard, because I wasn't quite sure what I thought about it. But through prayer and reading (and some down time at work) I realized that Christ answered this question clearly when He said in John 15:1 "I am the true vine..." Israel was never really the vine (regardless of the verse in Hosea 10:1 which I truly believe is figurative... keep reading, I'll explain, don't worry). I believe that Christ is and always has been the TRUE vine. THE true vine. There can only be one. The physical nation of Israel was at one point the physical representation of Christ, the true vine, the sons of Abraham, on earth. But the Bible is clear on the fact that the church of believers in Jesus Christ is included in the definition of Israel (sons of Abraham)... (Romans 4:16-17 and Romans 9:8). Christ was Head of Israel as He is Head of the church. (but now we have something literal and "in this world" to look at as an example of that, which is the difference between OT Israel and the NT "Israel").

So. My conclusion.

The church and OT Israel were never vines and never will be vines. We are branches, some of us grafted into the vine that is Everlasting and Eternal stretching both ways in time~ backward and forward. Just as a branch is a representative sample of a tree or vine, we are the representative of our Vine.

Just an observation that helped me understand even better how the relationship between Israel and the church go together in Christ. :)

Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 See Who I Visit

Morgan

My home on the net

Steve

Lil bro Drew

Julie

Aaron

David

Keith

Rus

My bestest friend Jess

John Piper

Theophilus

Adam Ochuk

Real Live Preacher

Correction

Rhonda's Ramblings

DaveJac

Steven

Chrissy

 

 

Somethin' Cute

current
10/01/2002 - 11/01/2002
11/01/2002 - 12/01/2002
12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003
02/01/2003 - 03/01/2003
03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004

 

 

 

.::This page was designed by Morgan::.

.::Photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Wonder Photography 2003::.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?