"Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable
beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."
1
Peter 3:4
"Death is a confirmation of the believer's creed. For the skeptic, it is discovery, immense and late. - Calvin Miller
My roommate has been getting after me for... days now... to update my blog. So here I am. I kept forgetting. But I remember this morning.
It's not like I ever have anything that earth shattering to say. But I'll just kind of spill out some brain products here...
Last night I went to Stuart's (coffee) with some friends, and was fortunate enough to have a friend there who brought along her Bible, so I cracked open to where I left off in Judges, and started reading about Samson. You know, he was one creepy bad man... But God used him so much anyways. Like, he kills all these Philistines for cheating on a riddle (cheating on a riddle?! that's not THAT big of a deal...), stays the night with a prostitute... lives unmarried with this woman Delilah... who, he KNOWS is plotting his demise, and yet he trusts her anyways.
Yet the story of his life ends with this triumphant, tragic ending... (read Judges 13-15)... and when he was buried, it was still declared of him "And he led Israel for 20 years." He was still given the honor of being one of the leaders of God's chosen.
I see this recurring theme all through the Bible. I love the fact that this God of everything takes such delight and pleasure in seeking out that which is dead, that which seems irredeemable, and bringing it to life. Have you ever read Ezekiel 37? Ezekiel has this vision of this valley filled with dry bones. Not just dead folks, but no, totally gone, decayed away, so far gone that they were dry and lifeless. But listen to this! "I looked and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them. Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says: come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe into these slain, that they may live.'" So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood upon their feet - a vast army." WOW!! God not only brings these bones to life (in this vision), but creates a vast army from them. Does this ring a bell with anyone...
He does the same for us. He breathes his breath of life into us, and these dead, dry bones of ours begin to rattle and come together to look once again as we were meant to look... becoming conformed to the image of His likeness. The image of God.
Just some cool stuff. I like it. Alot. :)
Hmm...what else, what else? I jotted a few lines last night while at coffee... they're pretty rough... but maybe I'll smooth it out later and put a melody and some chords to it. I could see some potential in it, even if it's just a song for me... but hey, this is my blog... I'll put whatever I want up, rough or not. Maybe it'll get some more thoughts going again...
There's this emptiness
inside
A craving that only you
can fill
I've got these tears only you
can wipe away
This hand only you
can hold
This waist longing for your arm
to enfold
These ears dying for words only you
can say
Hehe, that's all. like I said, rough. I have alot more I could say. But I don't know just where to go with it yet. We'll see.